VOLKSWAGEN T-CROSS CITY
20 – 22 September 2019
T-Cross City, Montecasino, Johannesburg
To create a spectacular, 'never-been-done-before' premium and interactive event to launch the Volkswagen T-Cross in South Africa.
To focus on a strong brand experience and maximise the T-Cross driving experience. To ensure a strong online media campaign be aligned with the event.
Objectives and Strategy
Working in conjunction with our strategic partners, One-eyed Jack, we conceptualised a city that we would build from the ground up. INJOZI's team of digital specialists would design a virtual city and gamified microsite for the pre-campaign, where consumers would be able to vote for their favorite experiences. Marketers would build hype and the Mushroom production team would push the boundaries of what was possible, which we're known for doing.
- The 6 000m² city was constructed as giant film set at Montecasino's outdoor area, and as you walked out of the complex onto the city site, you were hit by the sheer spectacle of 12 kilometres of giant, 7m-high scaffold structures dressed with clever facades and housing incredible experiences.
- A full print factory ran 24-hours a day for 11 days solid, producing 4 000m² of print for the facades, all of which will be donated to an NGO to be repurposed into items like shopping bags and art pieces.
- Mushroom Productions brought T-Cross City to life at Montecasino for two days of non-stop interactive experiences.
- Test drives by professional drivers through and around the city.
- • A rooftop party curated by The WeeKENT - friends of DJ Kent, gave the best views of the city.
- Marabi Jazz Club with signature Marabi cocktails and canapés from one of the best chefs in the country, Katlego Mlambo.
- A line-up of the best local comedians at The Goliath Comedy club.
- Fives Futbol hosted a 'Winner Stays On' tournament with local soccer celebrities and clubs competing.
- A Virtual Reality activation.
- A gourmet food market curated by Chef Lesego Semenya aka LesDaChef.
- It took 12 days and a collective 3,840 working hours from the production team to complete.